Thank you for subscribing to ICCROM e-News!
ICCROM e-News provides updates on what is happening in and around ICCROM. To visit our web site, click on the links below the text.
ICCROM – Conserving Culture, Promoting Diversity
CBH 2012 – Conservation of Built Heritage
23 March. Applications are now open for the CBH 2012 course on ‘Conservation of Built Heritage’, to be held in Rome, Italy from 2 March — 27 April 2012.
Application deadline: 31 July 2011
Heritage news in the media worldwide
A monthly compilation of media articles on heritage topics. Obviously, these all reflect the viewpoints of the authors.
Events, grants, job opportunities, websites, etc.
· Calendar of Events compiled by ICCROM
· Seminar: La maquette : Un outil au service du projet architectural, 20-21 May 2011, Paris, France
· Seminar: Value Creation and New Business Models by Energy Efficiency Measures in Historic Buildings, 13 May 2011, Koblenz, Germany
· Conference: 4th symposium on Preserving Archaeological Remains in situ (PARIS4), 23 - 26 May 2011, Copenhagen, Denmark
· Conference: Modern and Contemporary Mural Paintings: Technique, Conservation and Access (MCM-2011), 10 June 2011, Valencia, Spain
· Symposium: Commonwealth Museums: Culture, Economy and Climate Change and youth, 27–27 May 2011, Singapore
· Symposium: Let the Material Talk – Technology of Late Medieval Cologne Painting in Context, 24–26 November 2011, Cologne, Germany
· Conference: Matter and Materials in/for Cultural Heritage, 24-28 August 2011, Craiova, Romania
· Symposium: 3er Simposio Latinoamericano de Métodos de Física y Química para la conservación del patrimonio cultural de Arqueología, Arte y Patrimonio Cultural (LASMAC 2011), 8-10 November 2011, Lima, Peru
· Symposium: Construire en terre : Du patrimoine historique à l’architecture contemporaine, 4-5 May 2011, Marseille, France
· Conference: Pest Odyssey 2011: Ten Years Later, 26-28 October 2011, London, United Kingdom
Grants, fellowships, internships
· Grants : Conference on the Inclusive Museum: Travel Support for ICOM-members from southern African countries, ICOM - Support to the network
· Internship: Saving the Stones programme, International Conservation Centre, Old City of Acre, Israel
· Scholarship : FAIC Latin American Scholarships, Foundation of the American Institute for Conservation (FAIC)
· Internship : Accueil des stagiaires internationaux au département des conservateurs, Institut National du Patrimoine, France
· Young conservator: paper-based media, Soprintendenza speciale per il patrimonio storico, artistico ed etnoantropologico e per il polo museale della città di Venezia e dei comuni della Gronda lagunare, Italy
· Video: China: Cultural Heritage, World Bank
· Radio: A History of the World in 100 objects, BBC
Publications, e-journals, e-publications
· Contemporary art museums in Europe: a comparative study on their stakeholder management, by Stefano Baia Curioni, Laura Forti, Luca Martinazzoli
· Museums of Ideas: Commitment and Conflict
· Bulletin de l'ISPAN 22, Haiti
· Territori della Cultura, Italy
· Patrimonio y Desarrollo, Boletín Digital No. 3 – 2011, Cuba
· Course: International Training Course on Disaster Risk Management of Cultural Heritage, 10-24 September 2011, Research Center for Disaster Mitigation of Urban Cultural Heritage, Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan * Please note that in spite of the disaster, the course will take place as scheduled. It will take place West Japan; Kyoto and Kobe, neither of which has been affected by the recent disaster.
· Course: M.Arch in Architectural Conservation, July 2011, Singhad College of Architecture, Pune, India
· Course: Master of Advanced Studies in Curating; Certificate in Curating, September 2011, Zurich University of the Arts (ZHDK), Switzerland
· Course: MSt in Historic Environment, September 2012 to July 2014, Institute of Continuing Education, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
· Online courses: Digital Heritage as a Tool of Public Engagement with the Past, and Safeguarding Intangible Heritage, 16 May - 6 June 2011; Communicating with the Public about Heritage, and Introduction to Sites of Conscience: Addressing Social Issues at Heritage Sites and Making the Past Matter, 7 June - 12 July 2011, Center for Heritage and Society, University of Massachusetts Amherst, United States
· Course: Curso de especialización en patrimonio cultural "Restauración de Metales Arqueológicos”, 30 June 2011 - 30 September 2011, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain, and Escuela Nacional de Conservación, Restauración y Museografía de México (INAH)
· Course: Master in World Heritage at Work , 15 June 2011 - 14 June 2012, Turin School of Development, Italy
· Course: CIDOC Summer School: Museum Documentation, Principles and Practice, 25 June - 1 July 2011, CIDOC, ICOM International Committee for Documentation, Museum of Texas Tech University
· Ghana Museums and Monuments Board
· Hot Science Global Citizens: the Agency of the Museum Sector in Climate Change Interventions
· Filaha Texts Project
· Past Horizons: Adventures in Archaeology
· Deliberately Concealed Garments Project
Complete list of Classifieds:
To propose announcements please contact us:
New Permanent Observer to ICCROM
3 April. We are pleased to announce that the Sovereign Military Order of Malta has become Permanent Observer to ICCROM as of January 2011. The Order of Malta is the first sovereign entity to participate in the ICCROM General Assembly with permanent observer status.
11 April. It has now been one month since the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. As of 11 April, 466 properties in 20 prefectures have been reported as damaged.
ICCROM signs deal for a regional centre in Sharjah and holds an ATHAR workshop
6 April. ICCROM and the United Arab Emirates entered into an agreement on 28 March 2011 to establish a regional training and development centre.
Book review for 'Cultural heritage impact assessment in Africa: an overview'
4 April. Dr Harriet Deacon reviews a book recently published by the Centre for Heritage Development in Africa (CHDA). The edited volume is the result of an AFRICA 2009 workshop on impact assessment for cultural heritage places, and case studies are presented from various African countries, such as Nigeria, South Africa, the Sudan, Uganda, Zimbabwe, and Botswana.
CollAsia 2010 Course on Conservation of Collections and Intangible Heritage
24 March. One of the main aims of the CollAsia 2010 programme is to address the challenges facing conservation of collections of material culture within the wider context of the heritage sector and society at large.
New Intern at ICCROM: Angela Russo
13 April. Angela Russo from Italy is undertaking an internship with ICCROM from April to June 2011 as Laboratory Assistant for the International Course on Stone Conservation.
11 April. Sun Fuxi, Executive Vice President of the Xi’an ICOMOS International Conservation Center and Director of Xi’an Institute of Cultural Heritage Conservation, passed away on 28 March 2011.